Everyone is relieved. The case has been resolved, hopefully through negotiation, but maybe through litigation. The work is not done!
At the end of every case, the lawyer should prepare a "List of Obligations", which outlines what needs to be done to implement the Agreement/Order. The list might include:
- Drafting and Implementing QDRO’s for the Retirement Plans
- Modifying Support Orders to Account for Alimony Payments.
- Transferring Investment Accounts.
- Drafting, Executing and Recording Deeds.
- And, last but not least, Making Certain the Divorce Decree is Entered.
Clients need to understand that there may be additional fees incurred even after it seems like the process is over. The attorney needs to manage expectations on that issue.
And the attorney needs to make sure the obligations are completed. Many things could impact the assets post-divorce, not the least of which is the death of a party prior to the finalization of the obligations.
Dot your "i’s" and cross your "t’s".