Finding the right attorney to help you with your family law issues is vital to helping you through a very difficult time. You need someone knowledgeable in the law, but also someone that can work with your situation to bring you the best possible outcome. Here are some things to look for in a family law attorney:
1. Someone that is responsive. Most likely you have not been in this situation before (and even if you have), you need an attorney that is accessible to help navigate you through the unknown. It is good strategy for your case to have your lawyer’s input, and it will also provide you with peace of mind during a difficult time.
2. Someone that knows your case. Your attorney should know the specifics of your case, so they can best grasp your individual needs.
3. Someone that knows local court rules. Each county has different rules in Pennsylvania, and it is important for your attorney to know how the court handles filings and court proceedings so that you can best prepare.
4. Someone that has compassion. As it is a difficult time, you need an attorney that can relate to your situation and show you the appropriate level of compassion. I say appropriate level of compassion because you do not want your attorney to become too emotionally involved to the point that it clouds their judgment. In addition, your attorney should treat you with respect.
5. Someone that can work with opposing counsel. Sometimes this is difficult for clients to understand. It is important that your attorney can "work" with opposing counsel to avoid unnecessary court appearances and counsel fees. If counsel can work together, you will be better off in the long run as you will likely not be leaving important decisions in the hands of a third-party. However, sometimes it is not possible, and if that is a case, you need an attorney who knows how to deal with difficult opposing counsel.
6. Someone that you feel is a good fit. If you meet with the potential new attorney, you will likely have a good idea based upon your own personal impression if they are the right attorney for you.